- Analyse the previous year
- Did the previous year’s pan out successfully?
- Were any tweaks required in the plan anytime in the entire year?
- Does it require anymore improvements in any area?
- Were the students able to meet all the goals that you had set?
- Were there any issues of over-scheduling or under-scheduling?
- Did your students enjoy the schedule, were they happy?
- What changes do you want to make this year?
These are some of the questions that you need to answer about the previous year in order to make a fool-proof plan for the coming year. Write down the answers and analyse them to make a flexible and effective plan for the New Year.
- Make smart and achievable goals
Once you have analysed the previous year’s plan you can narrow down on the features that worked well. Now you can set desirable goals not just for the students but also for yourself. But make sure that you don’t go overboard with setting the goals.
- Plan your entire year
This includes making vacation plans, holidays and other get-togethers. Breaks are very important for students. You don’t want to wear them off and neither do you want to get them exhausted. So set convenient start days and end days for the different terms in a year. You can use a good homeschool tracker to plan a school year as it lets you calculate the number of days that you can use.
You also need to plan on periodic assessments such as quizzes and tests. These assessments are important to understand the progress your kids are making in learning new concepts.
- Fix on a suitable Weekly Routine
To stay more organized and productive it would be a great idea to set a standard routine for your homeschool week. Decide on whether you want to teach 4 days a week or 5.
- Begin your Lesson Planning
Lesson planning can be very tedious and time consuming. You can look into many of the already prepared lesson plans that are available online. These are tried and tested and you don’t have to spend all your time making the lesson plans from scratch. Still if you want to create a customized plan you can do so by spending a considerable amount of time.
- Decide on a start time and end time
You need to stick to a daily start time. This helps to bring discipline to you and your students. You can set the time by considering the waking time of your kids. You also need to decide on the duration of your day. How long are you going to teach the kids every day? How many breaks will they get? How long will the play time be? These are very crucial in planning a homeschool schedule.
- Consider your family’s routine
- Does your family require a longer summer vacation?
- Do you go camping every weekend?
- How birthday will you be celebrating in a year? How many activities do you need to attend to in the given year?
You will have to consider all these factors before planning a homeschool schedule.
You can make an effective homeschool schedule by following a very simple plan. When the plan is simple it is more likely that you will stick to the schedule. Don’t break your head making unrealistic plans for the student. And if you feel the need to add something extra you can do the required modifications in between.